Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wartime Nineteen seventy-one

 
I often dream of the day,
I can throw my past away!
The things I’ve done long ago,
when I wasn’t very old!
Nightmares caused by some of them,
things that many have condemned!
Wartime Nineteen seventy-one,
God help us for what we’ve done!
The sight of so many in war dying,
is unforgettable and horrifying!
It’s not that I think I’ve done wrong,
memories of death’s been with me so long!
I served my Country with pride,
and for her I'd still die!
But Nightmares steal from me my sleep, 
and sometime they make me weep!
The scenes of blood in my mind don’t go away,
their fresh in my thoughts each and every day!
I see my friends gasping for their last breath,
just a split second before their death!
I see myself running for cover,
from the mortar rounds falling all over!
I remember the war as if it were yesterday,
the memories don’t fade away!
That’s what PTSD is my friends,
and it will be with me ‘til the end!
Sgt Duke Sherman
G-Troop, 2/11 ACR
Black Horse Soldier
Vietnam Veteran

No comments:

Post a Comment