Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Can't Sleep At Night

Lately I've been a bit under the weather,
I wish I’d feel better!
It’s not what you call a normal sickness,
but it causes me great distress,
and much loneliness!
I have what’s called PTSD,
and it causes Hell on earth for me!
I really have to try to walk the line,
if I don’t I’m afraid I’ll loose my mind!
I’m so tired but I can’t sleep,
sometimes I stay awake and just weep!
I haven’t always been this way,
there was a time I was happy every day!
I’m a Veteran of the Vietnam era,
and I’ve seen too much terror!
It causes me to dream horrifically,
and I can’t stay asleep consequently!
They’ll invent a pill one day,
that’ll take this thing away!
But for now I’ll walk that line,
as I’ve done for such a long time!
Sgt Duke Sherman 
G-Troop, 2/11 ACR
Black Horse Soldiers
Vietnam Veteran
Diagnostic symptoms for PTSD include re-experiencing the original trauma(s) through flashbacks or nightmares, avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma, and increased arousal – such as difficulty falling or staying asleep, anger, and hypervigilance. Formal diagnostic criteria (both DSM-IV-TR and ICD-9) require that the symptoms last more than one month and cause significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment